Gear and Technique
Here are some articles and user reviews on birding gear and technique I’ve written over the years.
1. The battle of good vs evil…. er…. actually a test comparing the IQ of these two popular medium-length birding lenses.
2. This article compares the sharpness of my sterling 100-400 IS to my birding workhorse the 500 f4 IS when both are shot at the same angle of view.
3. My Top 10 Tips on Moonshooting with Long DSLR Lenses (complete with samples).
4. My user review of a low cost but effective gimbal head – Manfrotto 3421 (aka 393).
5. Comparing my previous Sigmonster (Sigma 300-800 DG) to my 500 f4 IS.
6. My impressions on the ultimate birds-in-flight DSLR – the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV.
7. Many are complaining in various photo forums about the 5D MII’s AF performance. Is it that bad? Can it catch birds in flight?
8. The EF 400 2.8 L IS is perhaps Canon’s sharpest lens. How far can we torture it with teleconverters + tiny pixels and still gain addition detail?
9. Do smaller pixels give us a longer reach when we are focal length limited?